close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Animal Control

Staff Contacts

Name Title Phone
Heath Higgins Animal Control Officer (207) 244-1215

Wild Animal Contacts

Name Title Phone
Norman Closson, Jr.   (207) 244-9915
  Game Warden (207) 434-5927
Ann Rivers Acadia Wildlife Foundation (207) 288-4960

Frequently Asked Questions

The disposition of closed cases, unless sealed by the courts, is available to the public. However, M.R.S.A. Title 16 §614 forbids the release of names or any other identifying information on persons providing information pertaining to criminal or civil cruelty to animals to the Department of Agriculture. This information is confidential and may not be disseminated. Information cannot be released on active or continuing investigations.

Call your local law enforcement or animal control officer first.
If you need an agent after hours, Please call the Orono Barracks of the State Police at (207) 866-2121 and they will contact an Animal Welfare Program representative.

Call your local law enforcement or animal control officer first. They may be able to respond much quicker than a humane agent can.

The Animal Welfare Program’s business hours are 7:30am – 4:30pm Monday through Friday and may be reached by the following manner:

Toll Free Phone Number: 1-877-269-9200
Phone Number: (207) 287-3846
A State Humane Agent is employed by the State of Maine. As a state employee a State Humane Agent’s primary responsibility is to enforce the animal cruelty statues in Title 7 and Title 17. Animal Control Officers are employed by a municipality and are not state employees. The ACO’s primary responsibility is to enforce the municipal animal control duties in Title 7 and Title 17.
Any complaint concerning an animal control officer should be put in writing and directed to the staff of the town that employs them. Most animal control officers report either to the Town Clerk or the police department but this varies from town to town. Any complaint concerning a State Humane Agent should be directed to the Department of Agriculture at (207) 287-3871.